Web 2.0 Prototype for Joanne Gongoleski and Michelle Hick's Shelfari Service

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

whatever happened to payphones?

After reading "Always On: libraries in a world of permanent connectivity" by Lorcan Dempsey, a one specific point stuck in my mind.  This was when the author discussed the "net generation."  Here he makes the point after referring to a literature review done by Susan Gibbons that mobile connectivity and always being on provides a safety net for students and children.  Parents are able to "helicopter" around their children due to the ability of being able to reach them whenever and where ever the child is.  This stood out to me primarily because, although this is tremendously helpful to parents, it can also be a huge hindrance to the child.  Who is the safety net for?  The students or the parents?  Parents tend to overstep the boundaries sometimes like when they call or text their child in the middle of the school day expecting their child to respond back.  The high school where I work has a no cell phone policy during the school day.  Cell phones are supposed to be off limits, put away for the duration of the school day.  Parents sign-off on the policies, yet ignore them.  I think many expect their child to be "always on" even when they shouldn't be.  It seems to me that the parents, who grew up without constant connectivity, forget that if they really needed to contact their child at school, they can call the office.  Because of always being on, I fear that kids will have a hard time understanding certain boundaries and common decencies.

The article "Library/Mobile: Tips on Designing and Developing Mobile Web Sites" was an interesting read
and verifies that there is a lot to take into consideration when designing and developing mobile web sites so that the user gets the best experience using the site.  The article mentions that one of the things considered when developing a mobile site was the ease of use for the user.  One of the features of the mobile site was to make phone numbers listed on the site be able to automatically dial the phone number when the user tapped on the link.  I was just talking about this with my husband the other day.  Being that I am a new smartphone user, I am amazed at all the cool things my iPhone does--one being that all the phone numbers on web sites and even in emails are automatic links to the phone. This came in handy when I was looking at directions to a friend's house and was having trouble finding it.  I discovered while looking at the email on my phone that the phone number she listed on the email was a hyperlink.  I tapped it and it automatically called the house.  It was so incredibly handy! 

Finally, the tips Kivi Leroux Miller shares about writing on Facebook and Twitter is sweet and to the point, and may I add, extremely helpful!  Her three words of advice in a nutshell--DO, THINK, FEEL--make so much sense.  I love that she also refers to a quote from Maya Angelou.  It is so true that people may not remember what someone does or says but will remember how they feel as a result of it all.  I read a book last semester titled "30 Minute Social Media Marketing: step by step techniques to spread the word about your business" by Susan Gunelius.  In this book, Gunelius emphasizes the 80/20 rule of social media marketing.  Essentially, this rule is to share knowledge, build relationships, and connect people with others 80% of the time when using social media as a marketing tool and for only 20% of the time promote it.  It really got me thinking differently about social media marketing.  I always figured social media marketing was all about getting the word out about programs, sales, etc.  Now I realize it's more about SOCIALIZING with people interested in your brand.  Miller is essentially saying the same thing but in much fewer words.

By the way, I would recommend Susan Gunelius' book as a quick and easy read for beginners interested in learning or beginning to implement social media marketing in their business.

4 comments:

  1. Your comment about "Helicopter parents" reminds me of recent cellphone issue regarding my daughter's class field trip to NYC. Many of the parents objected to the no cellphone policy citing that the students had iPhones that would also be used for listening to music and talking pictures on the trip and let their kids take their phones of the trip. During their visit those kids spent their time posting pictures to Facebook and hopping on the Internet every chance they had. It was disrespectful to toss aside what the teachers had requested and it shows kids that they don't have to respect their teachers either.
    They traveling in groups with badges and had the option to use phone cards. I for one was happy to hear that my daughter knew what to do without her cellphone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the school enforced the no cell phone on during the day policy, then what is wrong with a parent leaving a v/m or text message for the student to retrieve at the end of the school day? It keeps information private and out of the nosy school office and frees up their time instead of taking messsages for students from parents. I have no problem with communicating with my daughter during the day and not expecting a reply back right away. Unless I can set my text to send precisely at 2:45 pm, I just send it and expect to hear back from her after the school day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day as I was driving in Providence, I happened by a scene that I felt was an odd juxtaposition of past and present. A young lady was talking on her cellphone in front of what looked to be a payphone. I wished I had a camera because of the irony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pulled up to a Cumberland Farms store today and parked right in front of a payphone. I never noticed it there and thought how strange it looked; who uses a payphone nowadays?
    The students at our school are so connected; they know when school is getting out early because of snow, before the teachers know!

    ReplyDelete